Friday, January 29, 2010

Lemon-Chicken Stir Fry and MORE!

Another week, another day of food, drinks and dessert! I know to some I seem like I'm alienating myself by making dinner for myself and not really being social but I'm not too sorry for that. The way I see it is I could do one of two things; I could either not go out on the weekends and wimp and whine about it because I seem to have zero social life or I could make yummy foods and enjoy myself and alone time. I choose the latter.

So, tonight's feat: Lemon-Chicken Stir Fry, Homemade Raspberry Lemonade and Magic Cookie Bars for dessert. Yes, of course recipes and tips are to follow!
*STUPID BLOGGER WON'T POST THIS PICTURE RIGHT SO I'VE POSTED IT AS IS...*

This was the end result of Lemon-Chicken Stir Fry. Are you ready for this? Let me just say that it was delectible and I could not believe it actually turned out well.

Ingredients (produces 3 Servings):
-1 tsp Oil
-1/4 tsp Soy Sauce
-1 tsp Rice Vinegar
-Cilantro Flakes
-1 Chicken Breast
-1 Lemon
-1/4 Medium Sized Red Onion
-1 Clove Garlic
-10-12 Brocoli Florets
-1/2 Green Bell Pepper
-1 Large Red Pepper
-1/2 Cup Snow Peas
Begin by cutting the chicken breast into small strips and placing it into a large gallon-sized ziploc bag. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into the bag of chicken (the juice should cover the chicken generously). Sprinkle the chicken with Cilantro flakes until an even coat has covered the chicken. Mix the bag and place in the fridge to marinate; leave it to sit for at least a few hours. The more lemon-tasting you want it the longer you should leave it but I left mine in the fridge for about 12 hours and it had a good taste to it.
Prepare all vegetables:
-Onions: Sliced OR Diced
-Garlic: Minced
-Brocoli Florets: Remove the Stalks, leave the florets whole
-Peppers: Sliced and cut into half
-Snow Peas: Left whole
Heat the oil in a medium-sized wok and add the GARLIC and ONIONS. Continue to cook the onions and garlic until they are lightly brown or caramel looking.
Add in the CHICKEN leaving the EXCESS LEMON JUICE in the bag (You can add the juice later for more flavor or if you want to add a little now that'd be fine too). Let the CHICKEN cook for 2-3 mins continuing to stir it occasionally. *I cannot say to cook until tan or white because the lemon juice will begin to turn the chicken white while marinating*
Add in the BROCOLLI FLORETS and allow to cook until they begin to soften.
Throw in the PEPPERS and SNOW PEAS.
Allow all this to simmer to trap in the flavors. Then add in the SOY SAUCE and RICE VINEGAR. **I am NOT a SOY SAUCE fan, but I added only a small amount to really set off the Lemon**
Allow the whole concoction to simmer on LOW HEIGHT until chicken is THOROUGHLY COOKED and the BROCOLLI is at the texture you want.
**Also, next time I will NOT add SNOW PEAS; I felt it just did not absorb the flavors at all, so why waste time?**
Serve with a side of ride and WALLAH! Party in your mouth!
Not a lot of work for a GREAT result!! I can't wait until I can have the left overs for lunch!!!
So, what about some Lemonade? This is a relatively simple recipe; the procedure may seem difficult but really, it wasn't. I did it all by myself in about 5 mins.

Ingredients:
-1 Cup Lemon Juice (Fresh Lemons it came out to about 5 Lemons)
-2 Cups Water
-6 oz. FRESH or FROZEN Raspberries
-2/3 Cups Sugar
Rinse the Raspberries and sprinkle with sugar. Then, using a Potato Masher or spoon mash the RASPBERRIES and let stand for 5-10 mins.
Using a FINE Strainer (The one I used is actually a sink strainer but I promise I bought it NEW!!) press the RASPBERRIES through the strainer to separate the seeds and extract the juice. This took most of the time; I used my fingers, a measuring cup whatever really works. You do NOT have to extract ALL of the juice but there should be a good amount of juice when you are finished.
Then add the Lemon Juice and Water and mix. Taste and add more sugar if too bitter.
**SIDE NOTE: I did NOT let the RASPBERRIES sit in sugar. I decided that I would add the sugar at the end to taste because I like MORE of a bitter taste...**
Now, what about DESSERT?
MAGIC COOKIE BARS--Recipe with step by step pictures
Ingredients:
-1 1/2 to 2 PACKS of SMASHED HONEY Graham Crackers
-1/2 Cup (1 Stick) Butter MELTED
-1 or 2 Cans Sweetened Condensed Milk
-Chocolate Chips
-Diced Almonds
-Shredded Coconut
-Preheat oven to 375 F.
Melt the butter and, in the cookie sheet, add to the crackers. Mix until most, if not all, of the graham grackers are moist. Press into the pan. **If you have a METAL Cookie sheet; I'd recommend using one of those. Disposable pans are GREAT, but they bend a LOT!**
Coat the crackers with the Condensed Milk spreading to make sure a even coat is applied. Usually about 1.5 cans will be enough for this.
Layer to your liking chips, nuts and coconut. Again, I do NOT like Coconut, but it helps you know when it's done in the oven so it's helpful...
Place it in the oven for 5 mins or until coconut begins to golden. Remove from the oven and place in the fridge to cool.
**THE ABSOLUTE BEST WAY TO EAT THIS IS BY PUTTING A FORK IN THE FRIDGE WITH THE DESSERT AND TAKING A BITE AT A TIME**
It is soooooo good and might not be any left after tonight.
Looking ahead I have a few options for next week, I'm thinking either GERMAN SCHNITZEL, TUNA CASSEROLE or MEXICAN CASSEROLE... I'm up for any SUGGESTIONS though...

No comments: