Friday, January 22, 2010

A night of good food and good times

So, I've discovered a new hobby of mine, cooking. When I went home for the holidays I found that I actually enjoy being in the kitchen and if I'm in the kitchen it forces me to clean; because honestly, who likes to cook in a dirty kitchen?

So, coming home on Monday already I've spent two nights cooking rather good meals if I can say so myself; Steph might back me up for the pizza though :) So, I thought it might be fun to share the good recipes I find.

Tonight's feat: Pizza. I know, simple enough, but NO, this was DELICIOUS pizza.
This pizza was a Lime-Chicken, onion, jalepeno and bell pepper pizza.

So, I started with a breast and a half of chicken, weight wise I believe it was about 2/3 lbs. I cut those UNCOOKED into cubes or just smaller pieces that would be perfect-sized for pizza. **Now, just as a little disclaimer, know that I'm not much for MEASURING things out, but just add until it looks good**
I then take the chicken and throw it in a medium-sized bowl. I then take a lime and cut it into half and using half of the lime I squeeze the juice over the chicken and sprinkle with Cilantro leaves. Then, mix the chicken with the juice and leaves to make sure the juice marinates all of the chicken. Allow that to stand for at least 20 mins.

In a medium-frying pan lightly coat the bottom with olive oil (Vegetable will work as well) and allow to warm to frying-temperature (to make sure you have reached this point wet your fingers and flick the water into the oil; the oil should POP then you know it's ready). Leaving the excess juice in the bowl place the chicken into the pan and fry until lightly golden; all pink should be gone but the chicken will continue to brown in the oven when it's cooked. Remove from heat and let sit until the pizza is about to go in the oven.
I then started on the pizza dough; using the pizza dough you can find at your local grocery store in the package follow the directions on the pouch (This size of pizza took 3 pouches), I know, defeats the purpose of home made anything if you don't make your own crust but I am still a college kid; I can't make EVERYTHING from scratch.
I then did the typical sauce, cheese, whatever, used a fresh jalapeno, 1/8 red onion and half a red and green pepper to finish for the toppings. I recommend NOT sauteeing the onion because again they will cook IN the oven ;). I then de-seeded the jalepenos because this is NOT suppose to be a spicy pizza, just a DELICIOUS one.
Ten minutes later this beauty comes out:

It really was delicious, the thing about it was that the chicken gave it a sweet-tangy kick to the otherwise spicy veggies.

Add a side of fruit, who wants salad when you already have a few veggies on the pizza? We then added an Orange Julius to drink and wah-lah! Delicious, somewhat nutritious meal... RIGHT? I think so :)

Recipe for Orange Julius:

6 Oz of frozen orange juice concentrate

1 Cup Milk

1 Cup Water

1/2 Cup Sugar

1 tsp Vanilla

12 Ice cubes

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until fully mixed; if you want to save your motor you could add in ice cubes one at a time.

I hope you enjoy, I can't wait to do this again, maybe next I'll do my spicy chicken burittos :)

1 comment:

Enjoy the Journey said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ'ssssssss! I want some!