Friday, March 6, 2009

To Walk or Not To Walk...

That is the question... and the answer, is quite simple: Not to walk!

I just received in the mail my commencement package for UMUC--Europe congratulating me on my milestone event of finishing my degree and inviting me to graduation ceremonies. Yeah, I'm not going to walk.

Reasons for not walking:
-It's just my AA and I don't see that as a reason to walk. Don't get me wrong, I think an AA is great but it's not really the end of my educational goals.
-It's UMUC and again, not the school I want to be known as a 'graduate' from.
-I'd have to drive down to Heidelberg and spend all day Saturday there. Not that that's horrible, but eh.
-I would know NOBODY that I would join in walking. I might be able to look around the entire auditorium and see one or two persons that I took a couple classes with, but nobody that I spent the past years with in class as we all tried to finish up our degree (I think I'm one of two persons who worked on an Associates in German).


Reasons to walk:
-My family. More than likely my family will not be able to make it back to the states to watch me walk at ASU (IF I decide to walk there).
-I'd get some fun pics of me in a graduation cap and gown! Let's face it, taking pictures in a cap and gown would be AWESOME!!! Get to dork around and just have fun... but then again I could just order the gown and take pictures without having to walk!!! I think I'll do that :)

So I'm curious... of those who earned their degree, did you walk? If you didn't, why not? If you did, was it fun?

Of those who haven't earned a degree what are your thoughts?

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!

4 comments:

Leslie said...

Mark and I walked for our bachelor's degree's. I'm glad I did. Mark did not walk for his Master's, but plans to for his doctorate. I agreed totally it is mainly for a photo op. Oh my, I just happen to know a photographer that's schedule is wide open . . . so order the cap and gown and let's play!

Sara said...

You know I think that'd be fun to get dressed up in a cap and gown and just take pictures for the thrills! It's like those people who get all fancied up just to go to Denny's or something; I just want to do it in a cap and gown! So I'm going to call you when I get the gown HAHA! I guess this will give you something to do while Mark is gone huh?

Anonymous said...

I walked and I only have a 2 year diploma. It was the most fun, but I was with my entire class who were all great friends. I had my video camera and everything with me. We joked around and I got a nice picture of me in the local newspaper in the end. I couldn't keep the cap or gown but I felt good because as of now it's the only secondary school I have finished. Life happens and things start to take longer. Only my mom and grandma came to see me, the rest were off doing other things (not a special day for them I guess)

The Mortensens said...

I walked for my BS and I'm glad I did! I loved everything about it: the speeches, the cap and gown, the pictures, and the excitement of celebrating the completion of my degree.