Sunday, May 18, 2008

Black Lights, Puppets and Music

I've been working at the Middle School on one of the bases here in Germany where my mom also works. I've been deemed the 'Official photographer for the Rising Stars' which is the special education class at the school. Throughout the year I've taken pictures for them and by word of mouth the Band director found out about me liking to take pictures.

Every year they do a really good spring concert. Last year they used black lights and neon cups to go along with some beats they made up. It was really cool! So the Band director got special permission to ask me to take pictures of the concert. Here are some of the pictures I got to take.

This years theme was Flash from the Past so these were some of the outfits they showed to the crowd to get things started.
So of course we started with the 50's.Moved onto the Beach Boy era of the 60's.The hippy era of the 70's.Then moved onto the Punk Rock era of the 80's.
The band then played songs such as Scooby Doo and Adams Family theme song, James Bond and Beach Boy songs. The trumpet player on the end is the son of one of the girls mom used to work with. Good kid.
I thought this kid was really cool and the instrument he plays is a pretty neat one as well. I've subbed for his class a couple times and he's a good kid as well.
The band director teaches exploratory music which is focused a lot on recorders. I dn't know if you can see that big recorder the kid on the end is holding but it's half the size of him. They played "Stand By Me".
Ms. Remley, the band director, leads the 4/5 grade classes and exploratory class in some Elvis Presley songs.
Ms. Remley really teaches these kids new things; here the kids sign "Over the Rainbow".
Two of the Rising Stars signing along with the class; Britani and Terrace.
The grand finale.
After the seriousness of the concert it was time to get moving and having fun again. I know this picture isn't completely in focus, but I like the effect of the blur with the streamers.
Can you guess what song they are dancing to? Car Wash Haha!
After the dancing we moved onto the black light. I used night mode for a lot of these pictures, so the blur is supposed to be there.
Here they were using the song "Wonderful World".
They then moved onto "Dueling Banjos" with white ribbons.
Here you can actually see the kids doing the routine.
The night mode really did some wonders for these pictures.
Now, I'd like to introduce you to...
Buzzy!
Buzzy has some friends and they are all puppets.
The music class was learning about puppetry and black lights so they got to play with Buzzy. They all look like neon colored cookie monsters.
These pictures really looked good with the different setting too.
These guys are Noodles.
They were dancing noodles which ended the show.
It really was a good concert, I'm glad I was asked to be the 'official' photographer for it.

1 comment:

david santos said...

Guten Tag, Scura!
Ich liebe diesen post.
Danke.